The eagle-eyed may have seen that Twitter’s CEO Dick Costolo has been giving a talk to staff this evening on the current size and scale of Twitter, along with some pointers as to the future direction of the social network. Twitter’s comms team has been tweeting the highlights and we thought a summary would be useful to share.
Twitter stat attack:
- 100 million active users
- 55% of active users are active on mobiles
- 400 million unique users per month to Twitter.com, up from 250 million in January 2011
- 40% of active users do not tweet
Strategic direction for how Twitter looks and works:
- Simplify the Twitter interface
- Standardise Twitter across all devices
- ‘Tighten feedback loops’ – with feedback referring to favouriting tweets or new friends signing up
- Surface more content from outside of your followers / following
These stats and pointers come from Twitter.com/twitterglobalpr and are current as of the time of posting this blog. This has also been posted on the Hotwire blog.